Friday, May 27, 2011

fill in the blank friday

I can't believe it's Friday already! This week has flown by. I'm off to see one of my friends for her birthday this weekend, eat some yummy barbecue, and *hopefully* find my phone (which I misplaced last night) before I go... anyway, on to the blanks:






.   If I could get away somewhere for the weekend I would go       Alaska, because I've never been there & it's probably going to change a lot (you know, glaciers melting, etc.), and plus it's supposed to be so beautiful in the spring   and I would bring      the hubs, who SO deserves a vacation, some binoculars to see some whales, and my my winter jacket, which has never been packed up. Stupid Chicago "spring"-- worst I can remember!   .



2.  Something I often rant about is    how messed up education is in this country, and how almost all you ever hear about it how much the teachers are to blame. Teachers seem to be the only professionals who are never given any input into decisions that are made about their lives, from curriculum to class size to length of school year to importance of standardized testing, to even their pensions (THEIR earned money), being cut, and yet it's always the teachers who "don't perform." I can't stand how few people de-value teachers, it's outrageous! (oh man, sorry, I could go all day.)

3.  One item I need to have in my fridge at all time is     milk-- the hubs and I drink tons of it, and I always need it for recipes (next week I'll share more of what I've been baking).

4.  My "life-saving" product is   sunscreen-- I've had a few bouts of skin cancer already (I'm not even thirty, people!), so I'm sort of obsessed with sunscreen. Luckily there are so many good kinds out there now; I don't have to choose between sunscreen and other face products, because it's usually built in.

5.  A friend is someone who     you can talk to after a long period of not talking, and it's like you pick up right where you left off, and it's not awkward at all. Also, if something uncomfortable needs to be said, a friend knows how to be honest with you without hurting your feelings.

6.  If I could write my own blank it would be       If I could have invented one thing, what would it be, and why?" My answer to this is odd, because I don't have one and don't think I ever will, but I'm going to say the e-reader. I think they're going to keep getting bigger and bigger, and even though they have disadvantages, they're doing a good job promoting reading as "cool." Also, I think being the sole inventor of the iPad would be pretty sweet, mostly because I would have one. :)

7.  My favorite kind of art is       hard to say. I love art a lot, even though the only kind I'm good at is the food kind, if that counts! I really love etchings and woodcuts, because their incredible detail makes up for the lack of color, and astound me with their technical complexity. What does one do when s/he makes a mistake? I also have illuminated manuscripts on the brain, because I just saw a bunch-- no one does that anymore, and they're so beautiful! I think anything made by hand is much more special and worthy of awe (and purchase-- I love etsy!)
I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, and that the weather FINALLY gets warmer!

1 comment:

  1. The hubs & I have always wanted to visit Alaska. Actually, he wants to move there but yeah that's not happening lol.

    Stopping by from Lauren's blog :)

    ReplyDelete